KARSTAEDT, A S. Profile of cause of death assigned to adults on antiretroviral therapy in Soweto. SAMJ, S. Afr. med. j. [online].
vol.102, n.8, pp. 680-682.
2. Lawn SD, Harries AD, Anglaret X, Myer L, Wood R. Early mortality among adults accessing antiretroviral programmes in sub-Saharan Africa. AIDS 2008;22:1897-1908. [ Links ]
3. The antiretroviral therapy cohort collaboration. Causes of death in HIV-1 infected patients treated with antiretroviral therapy, 1996-2006: collaborative analysis of 13 HIV cohort studies. Clin Infect Dis 2010;50;1387-1396. [ Links ]
4. Castelnuovo B, Manabe YC, Kiragga A, Kamya M, Easterbrook P, Kambugu A. Cause-specific mortality and the contribution of immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome in the first 3 years after antiretroviral therapy initiation in an urban African cohort. Clin Infect Dis 2009;49:965-972. [ Links ]
5. Pettipher CA, Karstaedt AS, Hopley MJ. Prevalence and clinical manifestations of disseminated Mycobacterium avium complex infection in South Africans with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Clin Infect Dis 2001;33:2068-2071. [ Links ]
6. Bonard D, Messou E, Seyler C, Vincent V, Gabillard D, Anglaret X. High incidence of atypical mycobacteriosis in African HIV-infected adults with low CD4 cell counts: a 6-year cohort study in Côte d'Ivoire. AIDS 2004;18:1961-1964. [ Links ]
7. Karakousis PC, Moore RD, Chaisson RE. Mycobacterium avium complex in patients with HIV infection in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. Lancet Infect Dis 2004;4:557-565. [ Links ]
8. Chao C, Xu L, Abrams D, et al. Survival of non-Hodgkin lymphoma patients with and without HIV infection in the era of combined antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 2010;24:1765-1770. [ Links ]
9. Bateganya MH, Stanaway J, Brentlinger PE, et al. Predictors of survival after a diagnosis of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in a resource-limited setting: a retrospective study on the impact of HIV infection and its treatment. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2011;56:312-319. [ Links ]
10. Sliwa K, Wilkinson D, Hansen C, et al. Spectrum of heart disease and risk factors in a black urban population in South Africa (the Heart of Soweto study): a cohort study. Lancet 2008;371:915-922. [ Links ]
11. Brinkhof MW, Spycher BD, Yiannoutsos C, et al. Adjusting mortality for loss to follow-up: analysis of five ART programmes in sub-Saharan Africa. PLoS One 2010;5:e14149. [ Links ]
12. Nojilana B, Groenewald P, Bradshaw D, Reagon G. Quality of cause of death certification at an academic hospital in Cape town, South Africa. S Afr Med J 2009;99: 648-652. [ Links ]
13. Naghavi M, Makela S, Foreman K, et al. Algorithms for enhancing public health utility of national causes-of-death data. Population Health Metrics 2010;8:9. [ Links ]
14. Hoffman CJ, Fielding KL, Johnston V, et al. Changing predictors of mortality over time from cART start: implications for care. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2011;58:269-276. [ Links ]