SEGGIE, Janet. Alcohol and South Africa's youth. SAMJ, S. Afr. med. j. [online].
vol.102, n.7, pp. 587-587.
2. World Health Organization. Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health 2011. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2011 (Country Profiles: South Africa). http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/publications/global_alcohol_report/profiles/zaf.pdf (accessed 25 April 2012) [ Links ]
3. Alcohol abuse costs R9bn a year. http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Politics/Alcohol-abuse-puts-R9bn-dent-in-economy-20110905 (accessed 25 April 2012). [ Links ]
4. Parry C. Substance abuse in South Africa: focusing on young persons. Prepared for the WHO/ UNDCP Regional Consultation - Global Initiative on Primary Prevention of Substance Abuse Among Young People, Harare, Zimbabwe, 24-26 February 1998. http://www.sahealthinfo.org/admodule/countryreport.pdf (accessed April 25 2012). [ Links ]
5. Flisher AJ, Ziervogel CF, Chalton DO, Leger PH, Robertson BA. Risk taking behaviour of Cape Peninsula high school students: IV. Alcohol use. S Afr Med J 1993;83:480-482. http://archive. samj.org.za/1993%20VOL%2083%20Jan-Dec/Articles/07%20JULY/1.7%20RISK-TAKING%20 BEHAVIOUR%20OF%20CAPE%20PENINSULA%20HIGH-SCHOOL%20STUDENTS.PRT%20IVALCOHOL%20USE.pdf (accessed 25 April 2012). [ Links ]
6. Newbury-Birch D, Gilvarry E, McArdle P, et al. Impact of alcohol consumption on young people: A review of reviews. http://www.education.gov.uk/consultations/downloadableDocs/Review%20of%20 existing%20reviews%20(Full).pdf (accessed 28 April 2012). [ Links ]
7. Jeffreys B. Alcohol disease 'hits young hard. 2007. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7092347.stm (accessed 2 May 2012). [ Links ]
8. White AM, Swartzwelder HS. Hippocampal function during adolescence: a unique target of ethanol effects. Ann NY Acad Sci 2004;1021:206-220. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1196/annals.1308.026/full (accessed 2 May 2012). [ Links ]
9. British Medical Association. Under the Influence - the Damaging Effect of Alcohol Marketing on Young People. London: BMA, 2009. www.bma.org.uk/health_promotion_ethics/alcohol/undertheinfluence.jsp (accessed 3 May 2012) [ Links ]
10. Saloojee Y. Tobacco Control. The South African Health report: Chapter 2. 2000. http://www.hst.org.za/sites/default/files/chapter22_00.pdf (accessed 30 April 2012). [ Links ]
11. Parry C, Burnhams NH, London L. A total ban on alcohol advertising: Presenting the public health case. S Afr Med J 2012;102:602-604 (this issue). [ Links ]
12. Ramsoomar L, Morojele NK. Trends in alcohol prevalence, age of initiation and association with alcohol-related harm among South African youth: Implications for policy. S Afr Med J 2012;102:609-612 (this issue). [ Links ]