MARK, Daniella et al. Low acceptability of medical male circumcision as an HIV/AIDS prevention intervention within a South African community that practises traditional circumcision. SAMJ, S. Afr. med. j. [online].
vol.102, n.6, pp. 571-573.
2. Shisana O, Rehle T, Simbayi LC, et al. South African National HIV Prevalence, Incidence, Behaviour and Communication Survey, 2008:A Turning Tide Among Teenagers. Cape Town: HSRC Press, 2009. [ Links ]
3. Auvert B, Taljaard D, Lagarde E, Sobngwi-Tambekou J, Sitta R, Puren A. In: Deeks S, ed. Randomized, controlled intervention trial of male circumcision for reduction of HIV infection risk: the ANRS 1265 trial. PLoS Med 2005;2(11):e298. [ Links ]
4. Bailey RC, Moses S, Parker CB, et al. Male circumcision for HIV prevention in young men in Kisumu, Kenya: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2007;369(9562):643-656. [ Links ]
5. Gray RH, Kigozi G, Serwadda D, et al. Male circumcision for HIV prevention in men in Rakai, Uganda: a randomised trial. Lancet 2007;369(9562):657-666. [ Links ]
6. Williams BG, Lloyd-Smith JO, Gouws E, et al. The potential impact of male circumcision on HIV in sub-Saharan Africa. PLoS Med 2006;3(7):e262. [ Links ]
7. Weiss HA, Thomas SL, Munabi SK, Hayes RJ. Male circumcision and risk of syphilis, chancroid, and genital herpes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sex Transm Infect 2006;82(2):101-110. [ Links ]
8. Connolly C, Simbayi LC, Shanmugam R, Nqeketo A. Male circumcision and its relationship to HIV infection in South Africa: results of a national survey in 2002. S Afr Med J 2008;98(10):789-794. [ Links ]
9. Statistics South Africa. Census 2001: Census in Brief. Pretoria: Statistics South Africa, 2003. [ Links ]
10. Mavundla TR, Netswera FG, Bottoman B, Toth F. Rationalization of indigenous male circumcision as a sacred religious custom: health beliefs of Xhosa men in South Africa. J Transcult Nurs 2009;20(4):395-404. [ Links ]
11. City of Cape Town. Nyanga district population, 2003. http://www.capetown.gov.za (accessed 27 July 2009). [ Links ]
12. Western Cape Provincial Department of Health. HIV and Syphilis in the Western Cape: Results of the 2008 HIV and Syphilis Antenatal Provincial and Sub-District Surveys. Cape Town: WC Prov Dept ofHealth, 2008. [ Links ]
13. Westercamp N, Bailey RC. Acceptability of male circumcision for prevention of HIV/AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa: a review. AIDS Behav 2006;11(3):341-355. [ Links ]
14. Jaspan HB, Berwick JR, Myer L, et al. Adolescent HIV prevalence, sexual risk, and willingness to participate in HIV vaccine trials. J Adolesc Health 2006;39(5),642-648. [ Links ]