MOODLEY, Mervlyn. Effect of National Senior Certificate maths on the pass rate of first-year Engineering physics. S. Afr. j. sci. [online].
vol.108, n.7-8, pp. 55-70.
2. Blaine S. New maths curriculum does not add up. Business Day 2010 May 24. [ Links ]
3. Smetherham J. Varsity students lack essential skills. The Star 2009 Aug 11. [ Links ]
4. Wolmarans N, Smit R, Collier-Reed B, Leather H. Addressing concerns with the NSC: An analysis of first-year student performance in Mathematics and Physics. Paper presented at: SAARMSTE 2010. Proceedings of the 18th Conference of the Southern African Association for Research in Mathematics, Science and Technology Education: Crossing the boundaries; 2010 January 18-21; Pinetown, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Durban: University of KwaZulu-Natal; 2010. 274-284. [ Links ]
5. Nel C, Kistner L. The National Senior Certificate: Implications for access to higher education. S Afr J High Educ. 2009;23(5):953-973. [ Links ]
6. Lifshitz EM. L.D. Landau's plain talk to students of physics. Am J Phys. 1977;45(5):415-422. http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.10828 [ Links ]
7. Eiselen R, Strauss J, Jonck B. A basic mathematical skills test as predictor of performance at tertiary level. S Afr J High Educ. 2007;21(1):38-39. [ Links ]
8. Leopold DG, Edgar B. Degree of mathematics fluency and success in second-semester introductory chemistry. J Chem Educ. 2008;85(5):724-731. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ed085p724 [ Links ]
9. Hudson T, Liberman D. The combined effect of mathematics skills and formal operational reasoning on student performance in the general physics course. Am J Phys. 1982;50(12):1117-1119. http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.12895 [ Links ]
10. Cohen HD, Hillman DF, Agne RM. Cognitive level and college physics achievement. Am J Phys. 1978;46(10):1026-1029. http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.11422 [ Links ]
11. 2008 Maintaining Standards Report: Part 3: Exam Paper Analysis. Pretoria: UMALUSI; 2009. [ Links ]
12. Mathematics Teaching and learning strategies in PISA. Paris: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development; 2010. [ Links ]
13. Smithers A. Do school exams need reforming? Buckingham: University of Buckingham; 2005. [ Links ]