versión On-line ISSN 2310-3833
versión impresa ISSN 0038-2337
S. Afr. j. occup. ther. vol.41 no.3 Pretoria 2011
A survey to investigate how South African Occupational Therapists in private practice are assessing and treating poor handwriting in foundation phase learners: Part II - Treatment and evaluation practices
Joanne van der MerweI; Neeltje SmitII; Betsie VlokIII
IBScOT, M OT. Private Practitioner
IIB OT, B Hons OT, MBA. Senior Lecturer, Division of Occupational Therapy, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch
IIIM OT. Lecturer, Division of Occupational Therapy, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Stellenbosch
Handwriting is a functional skill of paramount importance for school-going children. Difficulties with this skill can result in poor academic performance and emotional distress which can potentially lead to school drop-out. These negative effects can be prevented by early remediation of handwriting difficulties.
This is the second part of a two-part paper describing a telephonic survey of 162 South African occupational therapists working with Foundation Phase learners to remediate handwriting difficulties. Part 1 describes demographic data and assessment practices. Part 2 provides a description of the treatment and progress evaluation practices of the respondents.
Seventy two percent of the respondents treated learners individually and 67% utilised home programmes with every referral. The majority of therapists applied an eclectic treatment approach, with sensory integration and psychosocial principles/techniques being most frequently used (<95%). The most popular means of evaluating progress were work sample comparisons (97%), review of treatment notes (94%), teacher interview/questionnaire (74%) and discussion with the learner (73%). The limited use of home programs may indicate an avenue for future research.
Key words: Evaluation, Foundation Phase, Handwriting, Treatment, Occupational Therapy
“Full text available only in PDF format”
1. Van der Merwe JL, Smit N, Vlok B. A survey to investigate how South African occupational therapists in private practice are assessing and treating poor handwriting in foundation phase learners: Part One Demographics and assessment practices. SAJOT, 2011; 41: 3, published in this Journal, [ Links ]
2. Feder KP Majnemer A, Synnes A. Handwriting: Current trends in occupational therapy practise. Can J Occup Ther, 2000; 67(3): 197-204. [ Links ]
3. Woodward S, Swinth Y. Multisensory approach to handwriting remediation: Perceptions of school-based occupational therapists. Am J Occup Ther, 2002; 56(3): 305-12. [ Links ]
4. Amundson SJ. Prewriting and handwriting skills. In: Case-Smith J, editor. Occupational therapy for children. 5th ed. Missouri: Elsevier Mosby, 2005: 587-614. [ Links ]
5. Law M, Missiuna C, Pollock N, Stewart D. Foundations for occupational therapy practice with children. In J. Case Smith (Ed.), Occupational Therapy for Children. 5th ed. Missouri: Elsevier Mosby, 2005: 53-87. [ Links ]
6. Berninger V, Rutberg J, Abbott R, Garcia N, Anderson-Youngstrom M, Brooks A, et al. "Tier 1 and tier 2 early intervention for handwriting and composing." J School Psychol [Internet]. [ Links ] 2006; 44: 3-30. <http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=PublicationURL&_tockey=%23TOC%2358l4%232006% 23999559998%236l7198%23FLA%23&_cdi=5814&_pubType=J&_auth=y&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_ urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=60cla5a78f5a92472ac4264f37595lla> (25 Jul 2009).
7. Zwicker JG. "Effectiveness of occupational therapy in remediating handwriting difficulties in primary students: Cognitive versus multisensory interventions" [thesis]. Canada: University of Victoria; 2005. <https://dspace.library.uvic.ca:8443/bitstream/1828/49/1/Zwicker%20thesis.pdf> (15 Dec 2010).
8. Bonney M. Understanding and assessing handwriting difficulty: Perspectives from the literature. Aust Occup Ther J, 1992; 39(1): 7-15. [ Links ]
9. Peterson CQ, Nelson DL. Effect of an occupational intervention on printing in children with economic disadvantages. Am J Occup Ther, 2003; 57(2): 152-60. [ Links ]
10. Denton PL, Cope S, Moser C. The effects of sensorimotor-based intervention versus therapeutic practise on improving handwriting performance in 6-11 year old children. Am J Occup Ther, 2006; 60(1): 16-27. [ Links ]
11. Jones D, Christensen CA. "Relationship between automaticity in handwriting and student's ability to generate written text." J Educ Psychol [Internet]. [ Links ] 1999; 91(1): 44-9. <http://web.ebscohost.com.ez.sun.ac.za/ehost/results?hid=9&sid=4b587a06-783b-4fe0-82fl-4736931742e5%40sessionmgr13&vid=2&bquery=(JN+%22Journal+of+Educational+Psychology %22+AND+1K+%2219990301+00091+00001%22)&bdata=JmRiPXBkaCZ0eXBlPTEmc210ZTllaG9zdClsaXZl > (3 Dec 2010).
12. Jongmans M, Linthorst-Bakker E, Westenberg Y, Smits-Engelsman BCM. Use of a task-oriented self-instruction method to support children in primary school with poor handwriting quality and speed. Hum Mov Sci, 2003; 22(4-5): 549-66. [ Links ]
13. Marr D, Dimeo SB. Outcomes associated with a summer handwriting course for elementary students. Am J Occup Ther, 2006; 60(1): 10-5. [ Links ]
14. Zwicker JG, Hadwin AF "Cognitive versus multisensory approaches to handwriting intervention: A randomized controlled study." OTJR, 2009; 29(1):40-8. <http://proquest.umi.com.ez.sun.ac.za/pqdlink?RQT=572&TS=129510l 277&clientId=57290&VType=PQD&VName=PQD&VInst=PROD&PMID=39316&PCID=4I76I63I&SrtM= 0&SrchMode=3&aid=l> (9 Nov 2010). [ Links ]
15. Christensen CA. "The role of orthographic-motor integration in the production of creative and well-structured written text for students in secondary school." Educ Psychol [Internet], [ Links ] 2005; 25(5): 441-53. <http://web.ebscohost.com.ez.sun.ac.za/ehost/results?hid=9&sid=91l74cb4-8608-4c3b-a92d-a235b7f9772d%40sessionmgrll&vid=2&bquery=(JN+%22Educational+Psychol-ogy%22+AND+DT+20051001)&bdata=JmRiPWFwaCZ0eXBlPTEmc210ZTllaG9zdClsaXZl> (2 Dec 2010).
16. Sudsawad P, Trombly CA, Henderson A, Tickle-Degnen L. Testing the effect of kinaesthetic training on handwriting performance in first-grade students. Am I Occup Ther, 2002; 56(1): 26-33. [ Links ]
17. Berninger V Vaughan KB, Abbott RD, Abbott SP, Woodruff Rogan L, Brooks A, Reed E, Graham S. Treatment of handwriting problems in beginning writers: Transfer from handwriting to composition. J Educ Psychol [Internet], [ Links ] 1997; 89(4): 652-66. < http://web.ebscohost.com.ez.sun.ac.za/ehost/results?hid=9&sid=1842f60c-cele-4f33-b84e-8e6166f5203f%40sessionmgr12&vid=2&bquery=(JN+%22Journal+of+Educational+Psychology%22+AND+ 1K+%2219971201+00089+00004%22)&bdata=JmRiPXBkaCZ0eXBlPTEmc210ZTllaG9zdClsaXZl> (10 Dec 2010).
18. Case-Smith J. Effectiveness of school-based occupational therapy intervention on handwriting. Am J Occup Ther, 2002; 56(1): 17-25. [ Links ]
19. Weil M, Amundson SJ. Biomechanical aspects of handwriting in the educational setting. Phys Occup Ther Pediatr [Internet], [ Links ] 1993; 13(2): 57-66. <http://ejournals.ebsco.com.ez.sun.ac.za/Issue.asp ?IssueID=374224> (18 Nov 2010).
20. Keller M. "Handwriting club: Using sensory integration strategies to improve handwriting." Intervention in School and Clinic [Internet], [ Links ] 2001; 37(1): 9-12. http://web.ebscohost.com.ez.sun.ac.za/ehost/results?hid=18&sid=14b9da1a-88df-4fef-ade3-36341edf0d30%40sessionmgr12&vid=2&bquery=(JN+%22Intervention+in+School+%26+ Clinic%22+AND+DT+20010901)&bdata=JmRiPWF waCZ0eXBlPTEmc210ZTllaG9zdClsaXZl> (9 Oct 2010).
21. McGarrigle J, Nelson A. Evaluating a school skills programme for Australian Indigenous children: A pilot study. Occup Ther Int, 2006; 13(1): 1-20. [ Links ]
22. Exner CE. Development of hand skills. In: Case-Smith J, editor. Occupational therapy for children. 5th ed. Missouri: Elsevier Mosby, 2005: 304-56. [ Links ]
23. Palisano RJ, Murr S. "Intensity of therapy services: What are the considerations?" Phys Occup Ther Paed [Internet], [ Links ] 2009; 29(2): 107-12. <http://informahealthcare.com.ez.sun.ac.za/toc/pop/29/2> (18 Nov 2010).
24. Novak I,Cusick A. "Home programmes in paediatric occupational therapy for children with cerebral palsy: Where to start?" Aust Occup Ther J [Internet], [ Links ] 2006; 53(4): 25 1 -64. <http://web.ebscohost.com.ez.sun.ac.za/ehost/results?hid=l8&sid=5a757d8l-bc3f-4d09-9b32-d9603a178a63%40sessionmgr15&vid=2&bquery=(JN+%22Australian+Occupational+Therapy+Journal%22 +AND+DT+20061201)&bdata=JmRi PWFwaCZ0eXBlPTEmc210ZTllaG9zdClsaXZl> (20 Oct 2010).
25. Rone-Adams SA,Stern DF, Walker V. Stress and Compliance with a Home Exercise Program Among Caregivers of Children with Disabilities. Pedtr Phys Ther, 2004; 16(3): 140-8. [ Links ]
26. Cantu C. "Occupational therapy at home: Helping Parents Follow Through with Home Programs." Excep Parent [Internet], [ Links ] 2003; 33(12): 28-9. <http://proquest.umi.com.ez.sun.ac.za/pqdlink?RQT=572&TS=1295104553&clientId=57290&VType =PQD&VName= PQD&VInst=PROD&PMID= 23l48&PCID=8757921&SrtM=0&SrchMode=3&aid=l> (16 Nov 2010).
27. Dunst CJ, Dempsey I. "Family-professional partnerships and parenting competence, confidence and enjoyment." Intern J Disability, Dev and Educ [Internet], [ Links ] 2007; 54(3): 305-18. <http://web.ebscohost.com.ez.sun.ac.za/ehost/results?hid=l8&sid=27427105-366a-47de-a149d53986a2e26d%40sessionmgr15&vid=2&bquery=(JN+%22International+Journal+of+Disability%2c +Development+%26+ Education%22+AND+DT+2007090l)&bdata=JmRiPWFJmRi0eXBlPTEmc210ZTllaG9zdClsaXZl> (20 Oct 2010).
28. Department of Education. Education White Paper 6: Special Needs Education. Building an inclusive education and training system. Pretoria, SA. July 2001. <http://www.info.gov.za/whitepapers/2001/educ6.pdf> (20 Oct 2010). [ Links ]
29. Milak DA. Windows of opportunity for at-risk children through pre-school early intervention. Thesis Masters project Brandon University, 2001 [Internet]. [ Links ] <http://web.ebscohost.com.ez.sun.ac.za/ehost/resultsadvanced?hid=l8&sid=d825cbcl-2fde-4501-952e-f42c2eb4f91e%40sessionmgr12&vid=2&bquery=(ERIC+ED457962)&bdata=JmRiPWVyaWMmdHlwZT0xJnNpd GU9ZWhvc3QtbG12ZQ%3d%3d> (16 Dec 2010).
30. Graham S, Harris KR. "The role of self-regulation and transcription skills in writing and writing development." Educ Psychologist [Internet], [ Links ] 2000; 35(1): 3-12. <http://web.ebscohost.com.ez.sun.ac.za/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?hid=9&sid=ec6ecl41-a026-4348-8abb-2b944b3808a4%40sessionmgrll&vid=3> (10 Dec 2010).
31. Graham S, Weintraub N. "A review of handwriting research: Progress and prospects from 1980 to 1994." Educ Psychol Rev [Internet], [ Links ] 1996; 8: 7-87. <http://web.ebscohost.com.ez.sun.ac.za/ehost/results?hid=9&sid=7a017fe2-4e55-4e67-bc13-7b5c5ea78a71%40sessionmgr15&vid=2&bquery=(JN+%22Educational+Psychology+Review%22+AND +DT+19960301)&bdata= JmRiPWFwaCZ0eXBlPTEmc210ZTllaG9zdClsaXZl> (3 Dec 2010).
32. Groff P "Handwriting, and its relationship to spelling." J Simplified Spelling Society [Internet], [ Links ] 1995; 19(2): 22-5. < http://www.english-spellingsociety.org/journals/jl9/handwriting.php> (l5 Dec 2010).
33. Pontella K. "Handwriting: An exploration of foundational skills." [Ph.D. dissertation]. Dissertations & Theses: The Sciences and Engineering Collection. <http://proquest.umi.com/pqdlink?did=1632844891&Fmt=14&VType=PQD&VInst=PROD&RQT=309&VName= PQD&TS=1294770418&clientId=79356> (3 May 2009). [ Links ]
34. Schaaf RC, Miller LJ. "Occupational Therapy using a sensory integrative approach for children with developmental disabilities." MRDD Research reviews [Internet], [ Links ] 2005; 11: 143-8. Available from Academic Search Premier. <http://web.ebscohost.com.ez.sun.ac.za/ehost/resultsadvanced?hid=18&sid =400c4157-1aff-420e82a6-7134aad394e1%40sessionmgr14&vid=2&bquery=(MRDD+Research+reviews)&bdata=JmRiPWFwaCZ0eXBlP TEmc210ZTllaG9zdClsaXZl> (21 Nov 2010).
35. Parham LD, Mailloux Z. Sensory integration. In: Case-Smith J, editor. Occupational therapy for children. 5th ed. Missouri: Elsevier Mosby, 2005: 356-411. [ Links ]
36. Humphry R, Case-Smith J. Working with families. In: Case-Smith J, editor. Occupational therapy for children. 5th ed. Missouri: Elsevier Mosby, 2005: 117-59. [ Links ]
37. Hanna K, Rodger S. Towards family-centred practice in paediatric occupational therapy: A review of the literature on parent-therapist collaboration. Aust Occup Ther J, 2002; 49(1): 14-24. [ Links ]
Joanne van der Merwe
This study was completed in partial fulfillment for the M OT at the University of Stellenbosch.