versión On-line ISSN 2309-8309
SA orthop. j. vol.8 no.3 Pretoria ene. 2009
R BhagaI; AA AdenII
IMBBCh; Registrar. Department of Orthopaedics, University of Witwatersrand, Helen Joseph Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
IIFCS(SA)Orth; Senior Consultant. Department of Orthopaedics, University of Witwatersrand, Helen Joseph Hospital, Johannesburg, South Africa
Proximal humeral allografts are usually reserved for reconstruction of the shoulder in a neoplastic setting.
To our knowledge it has never been described for use in a trauma setting.
In this case report, we present a 30-year-old man involved in a motor vehicle accident (MVA) in 2007. He is right-hand dominant and employed as a driver. He presented initially to a peripheral hospital, and he sustained what seems to be a right floating shoulder injury with clavicle, scapula and proximal humeral fractures. He was operated there and underwent excision of the proximal humerus.
Subsequently he presented to us and a staged procedure was performed. Initially, the clavicle was plated and, six weeks later, he underwent reconstruction with a proximal humeral allograft. All rotator cuff muscles were re-attached and the allograft was secured with cement and an intramedullary nail.
We present his pre-op and post-op pictures as well as the function achieved. We also present a brief review of the literature.
“Full text available only in PDF format”
1. Gebhardt MC, Roth YF, Mankin HJ. Osteoarticular allografts for reconstruction in the proximal part of the humerus after excision of a musculoskeletal tumor. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1990;72:334-45. [ Links ]
2. Rödel RW, Gosheger G, Gebert C, Lindner N, Ozaki T, Winkelmann W. Reconstruction of the proximal humerus after wide resection of tumours. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2002:84-B:1004-8. [ Links ]
3. O'Connor MI, Sim FH, Chao EYS. Limb salvage for neoplasms of the shoulder girdle - Intermediate reconstructive and functional results. J Bone Joint Surg Am December 1996;78-A(12):1872-88. [ Links ]
4. Borjian A, Nazem K, Yassine H. Complications of massive allografts reconstruction for bone tumors. J Research in Medical Sciences July & Aug 2006;.11(4):240-7. [ Links ]
5. Getty P, Peabody T. Complications and functional outcomes of reconstruction with an osteoarticular allograft after intra-articular resection of the proximal aspect of the humerus. J Bone Joint Surg Am August 1999;81-A(8):1138-46. [ Links ]
Dr R Bhaga
PO Box 324
Cell: 072 242 5644