On-line version ISSN 2309-8309
Print version ISSN 1681-150X
SA orthop. j. vol.8 n.2 Pretoria Jan. 2009
MBChB (Pret); Registrar, National Hospital, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Orange Free State, Bloemfontein, South Africa
The treatment of septic non-unions is a complex problem with high morbidity and prolonged and costly treatment with significant psycho-social implications. Good communication with the patient and individualised treatment objectives are therefore essential. With appropriate treatment and complete elimination of infection a good to excellent outcome can be expected.
This article outlines the current thoughts and recommendations for the management of septic non-union.
“Full text available only in PDF format”
1. Rodriques-Merchan EC, Forriol F. Nonunion: general principles and experimental data. Clin Orthop 2004;419:4-12. [ Links ]
2. Jain AK, Sinha S. Infected nonunions of the long bones. Clin Orthop 2005;431:57-65. [ Links ]
3. Babhulkar S, Pande K, Babhulkar S. Nonunions of the diaphysis of long bones. Clin Orthop 2005;431:50-6. [ Links ]
4. LaVelle DG. Delayed union and nonunion of fractures. In: S. Terry Canale (ed). Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics vol 1. 11th Ed. Mosby;2003:3125-3166. [ Links ]
5.. Dabov GB. Osteomyelitis. In: S. Terry Canale (ed). Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics vol 1. 11th Ed. Mosby;2003:662-85. [ Links ]
6. Motsitsi NS. Management of infected nonunions of long bones: The last decade (1996-2006). Injury 2008;39(2):155-60. [ Links ]
7. Cleveland KB. General principals of infection. In: S. Terry Canale (ed). Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics vol 1. 11th Ed. Mosby;2003:643-60. [ Links ]
8. Cierny G. Infected tibial nonunions (1981-1995) The evolution of change. Clin Orthop 1999;360:97-105. [ Links ]
9. Thonse R, Conway J. Antibiotic cement-coated interlocking nail for the treatment of infected nonunions and segmental bone defects. J Orthop Trauma. 2007 Apr;21(4):258-68. [ Links ]
10. Tetsworth K, Cierny G. Osteomyelitis debridement techniques. Clin Orthop 1999;360:87-96. [ Links ]
11. Rodriques-Merchan EC, Gomez-Castresana F. Internal fixation in nonunions. Clin Orthop 2004;419:13-20. [ Links ]
12. Patil S, Montgomery R. Management of complex tibial and femoral nonunion using the Ilizarov technique, and its cost implications. J Bone Joint Surg (Br) 2006;88-B:928-32. [ Links ]
13. Garcia-Cimbrelo E, Marti-Gonzales JC. Circular external fixation in tibial nonunions. Clin Orthop 2004;419:65-70. [ Links ]
14. Perry CR. Bone repair techniques, bone graft and bone graft substitutes. Clin Orthop 1999;360:71-86. [ Links ]
15. Mader JT, Shirtliff ME, et al. Antimicrobial treatment of Chronic Osteomyelitis. Clin Orthop 1999;360:47-65. [ Links ]
16. Aaron RK, Ciombor DM, Simon BJ. Treatment of nonunions with electric and electromagnetic fields. Clin Orthop 2004;419:21-9. [ Links ]
Dr PC Pelser
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Univaersity of the Free State
Tel: (051) 405-2242; Fax: (051) 430-7101
Presented at the Johnson&Johnson Registrar Congress, Durban, February 2009
No benefits of any form have been received from a commercial party related directly or indirectly to the subject of this article.
The content of this article is the sole work of the author.