versión On-line ISSN 2078-5151
S. Afr. j. surg. vol.46 no.1 Cape Town feb. 2008
Alan D. WidgerowI; Craig WittstockII; Geoffrey P. CandyIII
IM.B. B.CH., F.C.S. (S.A.), M.MED., F.A.C.S. Department of Surgery, University of the Witwatersrand and Netcare Linksfield Park Clinic, Johannesburg
IIM.B. B.CH. Department of Surgery, University of the Witwatersrand and Netcare Linksfield Park Clinic, Johannesburg
IIIPH.D. Department of Surgery, University of the Witwatersrand and Netcare Linksfield Park Clinic, Johannesburg
BACKGROUND: A new device made by ThebeMedicare allows efficient local anaesthetic washout of wound areas, by utilising an attachment to an existing drain. The aim of this trial was to explore 'proof of concept' in patients undergoing abdomino-plasty procedures.
PATIENTS AND METHODS: Thirty-one patients who had undergone abdominoplasty procedures were selected for instillation of a local anaesthetic preparation, ropivacaine (Naropin, AstraZeneca) into the wound site on day 1 and 2 after surgery, followed by early mobilisation. Efficacy of the system, patient comfort and mobilisation were documented.
RESULTS: The abdominoplasty patients experienced no discomfort from the procedure and claimed effective relief of pain for an average of 12 hours following instillation of local anaesthetic. All mobilised effectively. The device worked well, with no technical problems.
CONCLUSION: The lavage drain extension has proved to be a cost-effective and efficient way of providing postoperative pain control and promoting early mobilisation in this patient group.
“Full text available only in PDF format”
1. Lu L, Fine NA. The efficacy of continuous local anesthetic infiltration in breast surgery: reduction mammaplasty and reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 2005; 115: 1927. [ Links ]
2. Mentz HA, Ruiz-Razura A, Newall G, Patronella CK. Use of regional infusion pump to control post operative pain after an abdominoplasty. Aesth Plast Surg 2005; 29: 415. [ Links ]
3. Bray DA, Nguyen J, Craig J, Cohen BE, Collins DR. Efficacy of a local anaesthetic pain pump in abdominoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg 2007; 119: 1054-1059. [ Links ]
4. Losken A, Parris J, Douglas TD, Codner MA. Use of the infusion pump following transverse rectus abdominis muscle flap breast reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg 2005; 54: 479. [ Links ]
5. Pacik P, Werner C, Jackson N, Lobsitz C. Pain control in augmentation mammaplasty: The use of indwelling catheters in 200 consecutive patients. Plast Reconstr Surg 2003; 111: 2090. [ Links ]
6. LeBlanc K, Belllanger D, Rhynes VK, Hausmann M. Evaluation of continuous infusion of 5% bupivacaine by elastomeric pump for post operative pain management after open inguinal hernia repair. J Am Coll Surg 2005; 200: 198. [ Links ]
7. Alford JW, Fadale PD. Evaluation of postoperative bupivacaine infusion for pain management after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Arthroscopy 2003; 19: 855. [ Links ]
8. Mc Clure JH. Ropivacaine. Br J Anaesth 1996; 76: 300. [ Links ]
9. Albright GA. Cardiac arrest following regional anesthesia with etidocaine or bupivacaine. Anesthesiology 1979; 51: 285. [ Links ]
10. Reiz S, Häggmark S, Johansson G, Nath S. Cardiotoxicity of ropivacaine; a new amide local anaesthetic agent. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 1989; 33: 93. [ Links ]
11. Groban L, Deal DD, Vernon JC, James RL, Butterworth J. Cardiac resuscitation after incremental overdosage with lidocaine, bupivacaine, levobupivacaine and ropivacaine in anesthetized dogs. Anesth Analg 2001; 97: 37. [ Links ]
12. Dony P, Dewinde V, Vanderick B, et al. The comparative toxicity of ropivacaine and bupivacaine at equipotent doses in rats. Anesth Analg 2000; 91: 489. [ Links ]
13. Ohmura S, Kawada M, Ohta T, Yamamoto K, Kobayashi T. Systemic toxicity and resuscitation in bupivacaine-, levobupivacaine-, or ropivacaine-infused rats. Anesth Analg 2001; 93: 743. [ Links ]
14. Knudsen K, Beckman Suurkula S, Blomberg S, Sjovall J, Edvardsson N. Central nervous and cardiovascular effects of i.v. infusion of ropivacaine, bupivacaine and placebo in volunteers. Br J Anaesth 1997; 78: 507. [ Links ]