On-line version ISSN 2411-9717
J. S. Afr. Inst. Min. Metall. vol.109 n.12 Johannesburg Dec. 2009
The processing of eWaste. Part 2: The electrochemical leaching behaviour of a metallic alloy derived from waste printed circuit boards
D.R. Groot; J.A.N. van der Linde
Department of Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering, University of Pretoria
Scrap printed circuit boards were selectively smelted at 1 200°C to produce a metallic alloy having three phases. These phases were identified as a lead-rich phase, a low tin content alpha bronze phase, and a high tin delta phase.
Electrochemical leaching studies on this alloy were done in 1 mol/dm3 sulfuric acid or in 2 mol/dm3 hydrochloric acid (adjusted to an ionic strength of 3 mol/dm3). The lead rich phase was more strongly passivated in sulfate media, and in this medium the high tin content delta bronze was more resistant to corrosion than the lower tin alpha bronze phase.
In chloride medium the lead phase and both bronze phases corroded readily, but with current densities about an order of magnitude lower than in sulfate medium (static conditions) for the bronze phases. The high tin delta bronze phase was found to form a passivating layer in sulfate media. A similar layer was not seen in chloride medium.
The leaching studies in sulfate medium also showed the existence of an alpha bronze phase of lower tin content in the centres of the alpha phase grains. This phase was quite resistant to leaching in sulfate medium.
“Full text available only in PDF format”
1. GROOT, D.R. and VAN DER LINDE, J.A.N. The processing of eWaste. Part 1.The preparation and characterization of a metallic alloy derived from the smelting of printed circuit boards. Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, vol. 109, no. 12, 2009. pp. 697-700. [ Links ]
2. W32-STABCAL 2000. Hsin-Hsiung Huang. Metallurgical Engineering, Montana Tech. [ Links ]
3. CHENG, X. AND HISKEY, J.B. Fundamental Studies of Copper Anode Passivation During Electrorefining: Part II. Surface Morphology, Met. And Mat. Trans., vol. 27B, 1996. pp. 610-616. [ Links ]
4. DAVENPORT, W.G., KING, M., SCHLESINGER, M., and BISWAS, A.K. Extractive Metallurgy of Copper. Pergamon. 2002. p. 282. [ Links ]
5. BuRZYNSKA, L., GUMOWSKA, W., AND RUDNIK, E. Influence of the composition of Cu-Co-Fe alloys on their dissolution in ammoniacal solutions, Hydrometallurgy, vol. 71, 2004. pp. 447-455. [ Links ]
6. BURZYNSKA, L., GUMOWSKA, W., and RUDNIK, E. The influence of phase structure on the dissolution of Cu-Co-Fe alloys in sulphuric acid solution, Hydrometallurgy, vol. 71, 2004. pp. 457-463. [ Links ]
7. HURTADO, M.R.F., SUMODJO, P.T.A., and BENEDETTI, A.V. Electrochemical studies with a Cu-5wt.%Ni alloy in 0.5 M H2SO4, Electrochemica Acta, vol. 48, 2003. pp. 2791-2798. [ Links ]
8. BADAWY, W.A., ISMAIL, K.M., and FATHI, A.M. Effect of Ni content on the corrosion behavior of Cu-Ni alloys in neutral chloride solutions, Electrochemica Acta, vol. XX, 2005. pp. 1-6. [ Links ]
9. MABILLE, I., BERTRAND, A., SUTTER, E.M.M., and FIAUD, C. Mechanism of dissolution of a Cu-13Sn alloy in low aggressive conditions, Corr. Science, vol. 45, 2002. pp. 855-866. [ Links ]
10. BURZYNSKA, L. Comparison of the spontaneous and anodic processes during dissolution of brass, Corrosion Science, vol. 43 2001. pp. 1053-1069. [ Links ]
11. VVEDENSKII, A.V. and GRUSHEVSKAYA, S.N. Kinetic peculiarities of anodic dissolution of copper and its gold alloys accompanied by the formation of insoluble Cu(I) products, Corr. Science, vol. 45, 2003. pp. 2391-2413. [ Links ]
12. AMMELOOT, F., FIAUD, C., and SUTTER, E.M.M. Characterization of the oxide layers on a Cu-13Sn alloy in a NaCl aqueous solution without and with 0.1 M benzotriazole. Electrochemical and photochemical contributions. Electrochimica Acta, vol. 44(15), 1999. pp. 2549-2558. [ Links ]
13. LAITINEN, T., SALMI, K., SUNDHOLM, G., VIINIKKA, P., and YLI-PENTTI, A. The anodic behaviour of tin in sulphuric acid solutions. Electrochimica Acta, vol. 37, no. 10, 1992. pp. 1797-1803. [ Links ]
14. KEAR, G., BARKER, B.D., and WALSH, F.C. Electrochemical corrosion of unalloyed copper in chloride media-a critical review. Corrosion Science, vol. 46, 2004. pp. 109-135. [ Links ]
15. TAN, K.G., BARTELS, K., and BEDARD, P.L. Lead Chloride Solubility and Density Data in Binary Aqueous Solutions. Hydrometallurgy, vol. 17, 1987. pp. 335-356. [ Links ]
16. SOUISSI, N., SIDOT, E., BOUSSELMI, L., TRIKI, E., and ROBBIOLA, L. Corrosion behaviour of Cu-10Sn bronze in aerated NaCl aqueous media-Electrochemical investigation. Corrosion Science, vol 49, 2007. pp. 3333-3347. [ Links ]
17. BARD, A.J. Encyclopedia of Electrochemistry of the Elements. vol. II. Marcel Dekker, 1974. p. 404. [ Links ]