versão On-line ISSN 2411-9717
J. S. Afr. Inst. Min. Metall. vol.109 no.10 Johannesburg Out. 2009
Production of Al-Ti master alloys from TiO2 in a DC arc furnace
Mintek, South Africa
The production of a 40% Al-Ti alloy was successfully proven at the lab scale, using pure TiO2, aluminium, and lime. These tests were conducted in an induction furnace maintained at 1600-16250C. The introduction of rutile into the feed recipe resulted in an alloy containing between 0.35 and 1.10% Zr, depending on rutile to TiO2 ratio.
DC arc production of the alloy was largely accomplished at 40 and then 200kW scale. These tests evaluated various metallurgical and operational factors including target slag composition, Ticontent in the alloy, co-feeding versus sequential, furnace bath depth, and rutile as part of the Ti containing feedstock. Overall, an alloy containing 24-33%Ti was consistently produced with cofeeding of the reactants and with lower taphole tapping. When rutile was added, the zirconium analysis in the alloy remained below 0.2%. The main impurity elements were iron, silicon, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen.
“Full text available only in PDF format”
1. BIROL, Y. An improved practice to manufacture Al-Ti-B master alloys by reacting halide salts with molten aluminium, J. of Alloys and Compounds-420, 2006, pp. 71-76. [ Links ]
2. MOSSEIPOURI, M. et al., Production of Al-Ti master alloy by aluminothermic reduction technique, Canadian Metallurgical Quarterly, vol. 46, no. 2, 2007, pp. 139-144. [ Links ]
3. BIROL, Y. Production of Al-Ti-B master alloy from Ti sponge and KBF4, J. of Alloys and Compounds-440, 2007, pp. 108-112. [ Links ]
4. RAKOWSKI, J.M. et al., The effect of nitrogen on the oxidation of ã-TiAl, Scripta Metallurgica et Materials, vol. 33, no. 6, 1995, pp. 997-1003. [ Links ]
5. XIANGFA, L. et al., The influence of electromagnetic stirring of Al-Ti-B alloys, JOM, May 2000, pp. 47-48. [ Links ]
6. Comite Europeen de Normalisation (proposed) Specifications. DATAKSH 005, Aluminium Division publication, LMS. London, 1995. [ Links ]