On-line version ISSN 2411-9717
Print version ISSN 0038-223X
J. S. Afr. Inst. Min. Metall. vol.108 n.10 Johannesburg Oct. 2008
Strategic factors and a model of enterprise restructuring in the coal industry in Europe with emphasis on experiences in a Slovenia-Velenje coal mine case
E. DervaričI; M. MedvedII; V. MalenkovićIII
IUniversity of Ljubljana, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Engineering , Slovenia
IIPremogovnik, Velenje, d.d., Velenje, Slovenia
IIIHTZ, IP., d.o.o., Velenje, Slovenia
The main purpose of this paper is to introduce the main strategic restructuring aspects of companies that are directly (coalmines) or indirectly (companies that depend on coalmines) linked to coalmining. An attempt is also made to determine the principal factors required for the successful execution of a restructuring process in companies focused on the basic activities of coalmining, such as companies that provide supporting activities.
The restructuring process exerts an influence on the whole area that relies on coalmining. So coordination of activities among the government, the local community, and the coalmine is very important. This is the major premise of this paper.
The first section of the paper focuses on identifying and analysing the key factors in restructuring and a selection of key methods, drawing on past and present practice. The key factors to be considered in a model of enterprise restructuring in the coalmining sector are considered.
The second section is dedicated to the actual design of the model of enterprise restructuring in the coal industry. The proposed model is based on positive experiences in the restructuring of coalmining companies in Europe, with an emphasis on Slovenia, successful approaches to crisis management in corporations, and identifying key areas in bringing about a strategic turnarounds in company operation.
To support the argument for the key business areas, a brief summary of empiric findings has been included to demonstrate the applicability of the proposed model and the restructuring process. The summary is based on the survey done in both Slovenian coalmining companies (especially in Velenje Coal Mine) and their subsidiaries. The conclusion integrates key findings and outlines issues for further consideration and discussion.
Keywords: restructuring, coalmining, Velenje Coal Mine, strategic factors, restructuring model
“Full text available only in PDF format”
1. MALENKOVIĆ, V. Strateški dejavniki prestrukturiranja podjetij v premogovništvu v Evropi s posebnim poudarkom na njihovo prestrukturiranje v Sloveniji: Ph.D. Thesis , University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Economy, 2005. pp. 16-22. [ Links ]
2. ARGENTI, J. Corporate Collapse: The Causes and Symptoms. New York. McGraw-Hill, 1976, pp. 84-86. [ Links ]
3. WALKER, S. Experience from Coal Industry Restructuring. London. IEA Coal Research-The Clean Coal Centre, 2002, pp. 5-8. [ Links ]
4. BRENDOW, K. Restructuring and Privatisation of the Coal Industries in Central and Eastern Europe and CIS: The End of the Tunnel? Coaltrans 99, Hamburg, 1999, pp. 221-238. [ Links ]
5. MEDVED, M. Restructuring and privatising the coal industries in Central and Eastern Europe and the CIS. Proceedings of the International Working comittee WEC, Katowice, 2000, pp. 67-78. [ Links ]
6. DERVARIČ, E. Strategy of the Longterm Coal Production and the Restructuring Processes Execution at Premogovnik Velenje. RMZ -Materials and Geoenvironment, Ljubljana, 2007, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 378-402. [ Links ]
7. CLEUTINX, C. Can Coal Survive in Europe on Its Own Merits? Coaltrans 99, Hamburg, 1999, p. 27. [ Links ]
8. PUČKO, D. and LAHOVNIK, M.: Strategic Restructuring of Enterprises in the Transition Period: A Case of Slovenian Enterprises. Management-Journal of Contemporary Management Issues, Split, 1997, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 43-56. [ Links ]
9. SLATTER, S. and LOVETT, D. Corporate Turnaround-Managing Companies in Distress. London: Penguin Book, 1999, p. 338. [ Links ]
10. WALKER, S. Experience from Coal Industry Restructuring. London. IEA Coal Research-The Clean Coal Centre, 2002, p. 73. [ Links ]
11. KAPLAN, S.R. and NORTON, P.D. Uravnoteženi sistem kazalnikov. Ljubljana: Gospodarski Vestnik, 2000, p. 343. [ Links ]
12. PUČKO, D. and EDWARDS, V. The Restructuring of Slovenian Enterprises in the 1990s-Views From Two Sides. Economic and Business Review for Central and South-Eastern Europe, 1999, vol. 1, no. 1-2, pp. 65-87. [ Links ]
13. PUČKO, D. and LAHOVNIK, M. Characteristics of Strategic Restructuring Process in Slovenian Enterprises. Slovenska ekonomska revija, Ljubljana, 1996, vol. 47, no. 5-6, pp. 464-479. [ Links ]